Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Me, Edin and Zach, with whom I will stay when Kyle comes back this Thursday through Tuesday.
I am so sad Edin is leaving. He has been such a good friend, example, training partner and role model just in the way he goes about things. It is going to be lonely in the rink in the mornings. I expect it will be just myself and Coach Wilma some mornings but apparently it was like that when J.R. was training with her at one point.
  I just found out today that when Edin was young, he, his sister and his mother were forced to move to a refugee center during the violence in Bosnia and Herzegovina. He told me some pretty amazing things about what they had to do to stay alive. His father was in the army and because the United Nations nailed Bosnia with the Embargo that they could not use automatic weapons, his father would be facing the Serbians who had guns and everything with nothing more than a water pipe. A lot of his friends do not have their fathers anymore. People my age and younger were fighting, having "nothing to lose but their lives", as Edin put it. He is extremely thankful to his mother who would sometimes look harder for toys and means of keeping him and his sister mentally active and healthy before searching for food. for water, his uncle took a soup spoon and dug a hole the size of an average room so that they could access the river that flowed under the house. If they risked going to the water supply near by, they faced snipers, and or the worry of having the water poisoned from the source. I mean, what a different world!! When I was that age, I was chillin under an apple tree with Mommy.
  Its been awesome knowing you Edin and I will miss you.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment