Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thursday Night - At The Hotel After Day of Travel

I woke up at 4:10 this morning after first waking up 3 hours earlier because I forgot about the different time on my phone again and set the alarm wrong. It's the second or third time I've done that but I just don't feel like erasing my home time. It makes me feel good to have that time on my phone. I'll have to change it now though as I am in Milwaukee where it is an hour earlier than New York and two hours later than Cali.
  Everything went smoothly this morning except my smooth peanut butter, which they didn't let through security!!!! AHHHH. My peanut butter is like my pride and joy of the food world. But I mean seriously - I can take sharp steel razor blades capable of being a serial-killer's weapon; I can take a steel bar from my sharpening jig; but I can't take peanut butter! so instead of checking the darn peanut butter, I deposited it in the garbage. I tried asking the supervisor if I could cut a deal, but she was not having any of it. So I had to wait in security all over again. Gotta love traveling now. I also could not get internet without paying so I could not write in here like I said I would. I read a ton today - more than I have in a long time, maybe ever and I also fell asleep in some of the most inventive positions. I had about six and a half hours to kill in the airport and only about five hours of sleep last night. My slippery cell-phone snuck out of my pocket in the shuttle from the airport to the hotel so I had to have the driver come back and drop it off but also had to pay for the fare twice. tsk tsk tsk - these things happen I guess. It's alright. I am all settled in the hotel now.
  

  Tonight Edin and I had dinner at the hotel. I got a little of the history of the whole situation in Bosnia. Like a typical ignoramus, I had absolutely no idea about just how bad it was. The Genocide was massive when Serbia was Ethnically Cleansing the Muslims out of Bosnia. Around 2 million were either killed or forced to take refuge elsewhere. I don't understand why we learn about WW2 up and down, backwards and forwards, but not a word was ever mentioned about Little Bosnia and Herzegovina defending itself from the Orthodox Serbians on one side and the Croats on the other. All Edin had to say was quite a lesson, one which I surely will not have again in High School unfortunately. Adding to the intrigue for me was the fact that when I played gigs with Mark Judelson  (http://www.storiesofpeace.com/), The Open Window was about the war in Sarajevo so I already had a slight connection to the history. I never would have been opened up to the Genocide that happened there and the history that goes back had I not come into contact with Edin through skating. That is a lot of what makes this whole thing so great and why I am so lucky to be in this position in L.A. - because characters full of new ideas, lessons and stories come to L.A. to be with Wilma.

  - I will try to post some pics of the events here as they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment