Wednesday, July 21, 2010

So yesterday when i said i'd do a quick workout then get busy...well, I lied again. But I did not know that Sammy was on his merry way to pick me up. I did a quick workout with the band and then he got here.
Okay, lots to catch up on...
- Probably the coolest news is that... drum-role... J.R. CELSKI IS COMING BACK TO So. CAL TO TRAIN HERE!!! For those who don't know, J.R. was in the olympics last year and won a bronze medal. I could narrate his story, but let me get a fresh picture instead of my lack-luster writing for a change: http://www.jrcelski.com/media-gallery/
Just a couple links to check out this guy. Oh and by the way, the guy who finishes second in the 5oometer junior record, Viktor Knoch, yeah, he's also skating here now and I was hanging out with him last night...just saying. :)
This friday, I will be driving to San Diego to play at an open mic with Jeanette and Sammy. Jeanette was already going and when she heard me play the cello she invited me to come along. I am trying to get out and change things up as much as possible so I agreed to go, though at first I somehow missed the part that its in San Diego which is an hour and a half away. We got together last night to rehearse, and though we didn't get anything together, she played and it was clear she has lots of talent so it should be fun. The next day, (sat)I am planning to go to a place called Fashion Allen or something and play, Hopefully, I can make some money!!! No responses on the Craig's List adds so it looks like that was a dead end, but I can still find ways to make money. Of course this is all possible beacause Wilma has pityingly given us 5 days of optional rest. I still will go wed and sat. nights to skate however because those are sessions I paid for at the beginning of the month. Oh well, they will be technique-only sessions for me.
The rest comes at the perfect time as I have been truly struggling lately. I mean, it's not the struggling where something's wrong - it's just the training is so hard and the guys i'm skating with push me to such limits every training so that after a while, I just need a breather to restart the motivation. Of course, with a break within sight, I pushed hard to the finish monday and tuesday. Mon. was ice in the morning which was a terrible sessions for me. We did a lot of hgh speed stuff and my blades were not sharpened well and I didn't have enough sleep. The afternoon was beach training which I think is one of the hardest. I did quite well there, which motivated me to sharpen real well that night and go to sleep at 9: 20, the earliest i could for the early morning 5am wake-up. I did much better as a result and really found a good feeling for the ice by the end of the session. We did 21, 30, 21, 30, 21 laps at 11.5 accelerating to 10.5 every three. I led the first one. I was supposed to do 12 laps and then peel off, but i lost track and just kept going, actually leading all the 21 save for the last 3 which were at 11.5 so i could have finished but I thought there was still an acceleration left and peeled off. That was a good sign. The rest of the session obviosly got harder and harder and by the end, I had three people ask me if I was okay, that's how tired-looking i was, but I still finished every one and at the end I was following Edyn (the machine) with two arms on my back doing 9.8 second laps. It was an amazing feeling to enter the turn with complete confidence at least 75% of the time and fell every inch of ice go by under my seemingly red-hot blade.

No comments:

Post a Comment