Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday July 17th - Something different!

I am currently in a dorm room at Northern Michigan University. I am here for the National Team camp with National Team Coach Jae Su. The trip here was interesting as we were not able to secure a rental car at Marquette airport (which literally has about 6 gates) so we waited for a little blue bus. The only ones on this, we took it to Mrs Krueger's hotel. The driver was missing most of his front teeth, had grey, wild-looking hair, glasses, rough yellow skin and was extremely happy to have someone to talk to. We ARE in the middle of nowhere.  Flying into Marquette we saw only forests and lakes - no houses or civilization. It was pretty surreal. I really feel like I am at the end of the earth.
  So once we got Mrs Krueger checked in, we called checker cab and within 10 minutes a friendly, happy-go-lucky Charlie picked us up and took us to the dorms for $7.50. I can't complain about the dorm room so far. It has one set of nice wooden furniture - a dresser with tons of drawer space and a desk with a light and drawers - for each person. John-Henry and I are sharing a room and we are both sharing a bathroom with whoever will be next to us. I wanna get some pics on J.H's I-touch that I can post.
  This morning we walked over to the Hospital cafeteria for breakfast. We get $5 worth of the food for free as part of the camp. Surprisingly, that got me tons of food. However, the "short walk" we were expecting from the directions at the front desk ended up being about a mile each way.  It extremely hot. I mean, really uncomfortable and the rooms don't have Air Conditioning. That will probably be the worst part of this week. The cinder block walls stay cool so that's nice but I am definitely going to the beach today on Lake Superior which I hear is real nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment