Monday, October 3, 2011

Whatttup everybody!

  My computer's internet conveniently broke as soon as I got to St Louis so I could not up-date the blow by blow. So frustrating, I know! America's Cup I was an overall success, I would say. We arrived Wednesday night and switched hotels as the original was unacceptably dirty according to Mrs Krueger. We ended up in a Resident's Inn that was very nice. It had a "condo at the beach feel" though we were in Middle America. We practiced Thursday and Friday and Friday morning were able to go into Downtown ST. Louis to see the Arch. St. Louis is really cool. We all liked it a lot. At least compared to some of the other zombie towns that competitions are held in, it was alive and urban and interesting with too much to see and do in the short amount of time we had. I was actually sad to leave.

  But on to the racing. The first day was the best for me. I was in 12th overall by the end of the 1500m and 500m, actually placing 12th in both. My first race, the 1500m heat I ended up leading the whole thing from start to finish! That was real exciting for me. In my 500m heat I had 4th position on the line and finished in 2nd, qualifying for the quarterfinal after an outside pass. That felt sweet. I was really very happy with my position after day one. Top 12 in this race is better than I would have expected. With all the top guys in this race because it is a World Cup qualifier, I could not possibly hope for the 8th pace finish of last year's Am. Cup Final. The second day I failed to advance out of my 1000m heat, a real disappointment. I really thought I would, going in and knowing who was in my race, but I got caught in the back in a fast race and couldn't make up the gap in the end. J.R Celski was in that race. He's back and in full glory. He won every single race he was in easily and is going to the World Cups with a shot to medal after more than a year out of the sport. Amazing. Whats really amazing is that my teammate, brother, training partner, 16-year-old John-Henry Krueger finished 5th overall and was chosen by the National Team coach to be a back-up ON THE WORLD CUP TEAM!!!!! Simply amazing. He skated so well, so hard and consistent enough to be in great position to capitalize on some injuries to other former World Team members and is leaving tomorrow morning to train in Salt Lake City for World Cup One, which happens to take place there at the end of the month. It will be extremely weird training without him. Cole and I will have to work together to get to where J.H. is. Cole finished 12th overall and I finished 14th. But most importantly, I was top four Juniors and if I can get that result at Junior Trials in January then I am going to Junior Worlds in Melbourne Australia, baby!!! I need to get more explosive, as my top speed is not good enough right now. My endurance and track skating is much better than ever, but I need to weight-lift and improve my foot speed for increased power and quick-twitch.
  Hopefully I will come up with some videos of the action and post it here eventually.

1 comment: